I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mama of 2. When my husband and I decided that it was time for me to quit my teaching job and homeschool our children, I was both excited and a little scared. Don’t get me wrong — I LOVE homeschooling my kids, and because of my teaching background, I embarked on this journey with less trepidation than some other parents. No, I wasn’t scared of the teaching part — I was scared of the financial part. We gave up my salary and decided to live on one income. Although it has been rough, I am thankful for the privilege to be in a place where we can live on just one salary because I know that that is not an option for everyone.
Over the years, I have tried to find a part-time job to help with extra expenses that would allow me to work from home, be with my kids, and not interfere with our homeschooling schedule, and you know what? It has been hard! I tried the babysitting thing, but I found it too invasive. It took away a lot of the flexibility we need and, quite frankly, it took time away from my own kids. I even considered a weekend job at Starbucks, but that cut into our family time, too. My blog doesn’t bring in an income, and the reviews I write for the Homeschool Review Crew help alleviate homeschooling costs with free products but also doesn’t pay. I finally came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t be able to generate an income while I was homeschooling. It was a worthy sacrifice.
Then I found VIPKID…
I found an ad for teachers to teach English to kids in China online. I was skeptical. I have seen many of these that are scams, but I decided to look into it. Within two weeks, I was a VIPKID teacher. It works so well with the life of a homeschooler (or stay-at-home parent):
- I set my own hours in increments of 30 minutes (Classes are only 25-28 minutes long). I can open class slots during times my kids are sleeping, playing, or otherwise occupied.
- I don’t have to keep the same schedule each week. I can change it to fit our family’s schedule.
- I can do it anywhere there is a good internet connection. I still can up and go see the grandparents and just take my work with me.
- It’s worth my time! I make $20/hour plus incentives. Even a few hours a day can significantly add to the savings account.
- There is some prep time involved, but I don’t have to create lesson plans. The curriculum is all set. I just need to familiarize myself with the material.
- It’s fun! I don’t dread ‘going to work.’
Would you like to hear more?
Although there are incentives for successful referrals, I am more interested in helping homeschooling parents create opportunities. It is not an easy road we have chosen, but we do it because the benefits so outweigh the hardships. VIPKID has blessed our family, and so I just want to share the opportunity with you in case it is the vehicle that helps you go on that elusive vacation, helps you reach those financial goals, or even provides a way for you to start homeschooling your kids.
If this sounds like an opportunity you would be interested in, check it out! Start the process — if you find it is not for you, you can always bail. I am willing to help mentor you through the interview process, so please use my referral code (JENNI0214) or my referral link below:
If you have signed up with my link and want some tips on the interview process, I will help! Just send me an email: